Rhomphaia is the twelfth-Tier ultimate Sword; like Hand of Light and Holy Win, it has unusual properties in Combinations. Like all Swords, a Short Weapon, it can be used with a Shield. Like all Swords but the Rapier (Piercing), it is Edged Type, and is preferably used with Edged-Type Grips.
Since Rhomphaia, like Hand of Light and Holy Win, combines to (almost) always make the other weapon Design (see Heavy Mace Combinations), it can be seen as separate from normal Progressions. There are exceptions:
- Staff: combination of Rhomphaia and Sage's Cane makes a Destroyer, and Wakizashi takes on the Rhomphaia's role, sort of, by making a Sage's Cane when combined with one.
- Holy Win plus Rhomphaia makes a Rhomphaia
- Hand of Light + Rhomphaia will make either a Hand of Light or Rhomphaia, depending on which blade is in the first position
Although it is seen on and wielded by a succession of Ghost-armor bosses in the first playthrough, it never drops from any of them, and cannot be obtained until a New Game Plus, in the Second Iron Maiden, with multiple drops of weapons at 10/255 or more, in HAGANE, SILVER and DAMASCUS. Many of the weapons are named, eg "Ascalon"; even some of the weapons carried by the bosses, that never drop are named, eg the "Fallen Angel" weapon from the Advanced Last Crusader boss in Temple of Kiltia
Boss Rhomphaias, in first playthrough, that never drop:
- The Hero's Winehall, Wine Cellar: Dullahan, advanced: "Angel Lance" BRONZE Rhomphaia - Swept Hilt
- Same room, after Ashley visits Hewn from Nature : weak Dullahan, Iron Rhomphaia, Cross Guard
- Gemsword Blackmarket, Undercity East: Nightstalker, advanced:
"Angel Kiss" HAGANE Rhomphaia - Side Ring