The Spatha blade, although it is a weaker weapon, a lower Tier than Ashley's very first "Fandango" Scimitar weapon, is nonetheless somewhat difficult to acquire. This is because it is a crucial part of the superior combinations with the sword line. Like all RPG games, character advancement in tandem with the storyline is a part of Vagrant Story, whereas players strive to be as powerful as they can; Spatha is part of the metagame. Together with the Rapier third Tier Sword, it Combines to form the fourth Tier Short Sword. Starting Weapon blades will acquire a great deal of Class bonuses, so it is worthwhile searching for a good combine target; some of the Starting Weapons can actually be made into a Spatha.
- Battle Knife, Spatha and Broad Sword are the potential targets of this process, and it is counterproductive to use them as an ingredient
- Dirks are very rare!
- Broad Sword Rapier and Glaive combine productively, and using them to create weapons that can Progress on another line is not recommended
- Higher levels of Daggers commonly combine with a blade to create Spatha or Battle Knife instead of Broad Sword, or for the same result. The lower levels are more frugal
- Combining the Wizard Staff Starting Weapon is impossible in the first playthrough because the Wizard Staff is SILVER
- Using two Starting Weapons at once reduces the number of potential lines, although it can be a powerful tool if Class or Affinity values are the same, as all the top values are retained. See All High
Starting Weapons + X = Spatha:
- Gastraph Bow + Francisca
- Scorpion + Battle Axe
- Hand Axe + Short Sword
- Gastraph Bow + Short Sword
- Gastraph Bow + Sabre Mace Heavy Mace
- Gastraph Bow + Ball Mace
- Scramasax + Sabre Mace
- Battle Knife + Spatha, Short Sword, Firangi, Shamshir
- Guisarme + Short Sword
Two Starting Weapons:
- Hand Axe + Rapier
- Scramasax + Gastraph Bow
- Guisarme + Gastraph Bow
- SILVER Wizard Staff + Gastraph Bow
- Battle Knife + Scimitar
- Battle Knife + Rapier
- A Short Sword is able to combine ideally with the Firangi in the chest in Forest River in Snowfly Forest into a Shamshir, with another Firangi into a Falchion and so on. Firangis are also useful for combining with the third starting weapon, the [[Rapier]. There is a 16/255 5% drop in Underdark Fishmarket in Undercity West, after the Crab boss there is killed. Later, there is a 26/255 10% drop for Firangi from the Exequator Crimson Blade in Rue Aliano. Firangi cannot be made from Short Sword; Firangi first drops randomly at Underdark Fishmarket in Undercity West.
Progression is a superior combination. Combining Spatha with Rapier to make a Short Sword is an irregular recipe, as the tiers are non-consecutive, 1st and 3rd tier. IRON Spathas will not be able to be combined with BRONZE Rapier into a HAGANE Short Sword until later when the more advanced Workshop is found, but they drop at the low rate of 8/255 from enemies in the Wine Cellar, Catacombs and Sanctum. Spatha takes the place of Scimitar, the second Tier. This makes Spatha a Volunteer of the Usurper type.
Obtaining a Spatha Edit
The Broad Sword and Scimitar Starting Weapons combine to make a Spatha; this is not recommended, as there is only one spawn dropping a Broad Sword in the entire game, and it disappears before Ashley enters the Sanctum
- 16/255 IRON Zombie Fighter. First in Smokebarrel Stair (its spawn is conditional on a game event and Ashley's HP: after Ashley visits Room of Red Wine and if he currently has greater than 199 HP-regardless of HP maximum)
- 16/255 Zombie Fighter Room of Rotten Grapes (conditional: after Ashley after Ashley kills the Lich in Undercity East and gains Teleport)). The Zombie Knight in the same room at the same time has an IRON Rapier
- 8/255 IRON One-armed Zombie Knight, The Lamenting Mother after Ashley defeats the Ghost Phantom there.
- 8/255 IRON One-armed Zombie Knight Hall of Dying Hope
- 8/255 IRON Two-armed Skeleton The Last Stab of Hope,
- Corridor of the Clerics
- Theology Classroom
See also Edit